Subject: Re: PostgreSQL
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: current-users
Date: 02/02/2006 14:35:29
How could it do that? A write is a write is a write.
One write is one bus cycle. It's always aligned, and the full width of
the bus. Otherwise we're talking about the CPU doing a non-aligned
write, which is a read-modify-write.
The CPU needs to read in the last word of page N, modify a few bytes of
that word, and write it back, followed by reading the first word of page
N+1, modify a few bytes of that word, and write it back.

	Johnny