Subject: Re: PostgreSQL
To: None <tech-perform@netbsd.org, tech-misc@netbsd.org,>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/02/2006 12:36:37
On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 06:58:04PM -0800, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> Also, I'm pretty sure that synchronization between threads doesn't
> require locked bus cycles, only atomic ops, again another saving.

If this was the case, I'd be very interested in your definition of
"locked bus cycle" vs.  "atomic ops".

In a multi-CPU (with non-shared cache) system, you have to implement
atomic operations via some sort of locked bus cycles.

This is independent of the thread vs. processes-with-a-shared-variable
question.

Regards,
	-is

P.S.: Why, exactly, is this discussion on tech-net, among others?
--
seal your e-mail: http://www.gnupg.org/