Subject: PostgreSQL
To: NetBSD-perform <tech-perform@netbsd.org>
From: Marcin Jessa <lists@yazzy.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/02/2006 00:06:35
Hi guys.

I read some emails on one of the FreeBSD mailings list about MySQL performance
 on FreeBSD vs Linux and it seems like Linux performs better compared to
FreeBSD 4.x and 6.x with different threading models. There are some benchmarks avaliable
but unfortunatelly they do not include NetBSD.
Now, my O.S of choice is NetBSD and my open source database of choice is PostgreSQL.
I am working on a project which will use a pretty buisy database with many simultanous selects,
inserts and update queries running on 64-bit Opteron CPU's.
I have little experience with running buisy databases and I basically used
MySQL for things like small scale email services, user authentication
with radius and web frontends (couple of hundred users).
I was wondering if any of you have experience with PostgreSQL's performance on
NetBSD 3.0 or CURRENT compared to other open source O.S's.
What threading model will be used and how does database generally perform on NetBSD?
Please be honest, I promice not to cry if you suggest a different O.S :)

Cheers,
Marcin Jessa.

P.S Sorry for cross-mailing, I am really not sure what mailing list suits best for questions like that.
And we do not have any ISP-specific list.