Subject: Re: X.Org, xdm & non-working keyboard
To: Ossi Herrala <>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <>
List: current-users
Date: 02/01/2006 16:18:35
In message <>, Ossi Herrala writes:
>If I start xdm on boot, X starts well and offers me a login window but
>keyboard doesn't work or it stops working in few seconds.
>If xdm don't start from boot and I start it from command line it works
>I found this line from my /var/lib/X.Org.0.log:
>(EE) KbdOn: tcsetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>which led me to discussion on OpenBSD mailing list archives:
>I think my system is having a same problem, but I couldn't get xdm to
>be delayed on boot.
>Could anyone offer a hand here?

I don't use xdm, but I need a delay before firing up ntpdate.  To do
that, I created /etc/rc.conf.d/ntpdate with the following contents:

        echo ntpdate pausing...
        for i in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
                sleep 1
                echo -n .

Something similar should work for xdm (though of course I have no idea
if it will fix your underlying problem).

		--Steven M. Bellovin,