Subject: Re: SE GC83 GPRS card: pppd problem
To: Jachym Holecek <>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/29/2006 09:09:35
In message <20060129133603.GA1719@laiska>, Jachym Holecek writes:
>> I am trying to use a Sony Ericsson GC83 GPRS/EDGE card on an HP Jornada 728
>> running yesterday's hpcarm-current.  The card works fine under i386-current.
>> Under hpcarm, I get the following message from chat:
>> pppd call tmobile
>> chat[7413] Can't get terminal parameters: Operation not supported
>Looks like chat(8)'s standard input is not a terminal device. Are you
>sure you've configured pppd properly?

I'm having this problem, too, ever since the Jan 11 update of pppd.
The cause thus far is quite mysterious, since I know it works for some
other people.  My situation uses an EVDO modem that appears as ucom0.

At Christos' suggestion, I tried this as my chat script:

ls -l /proc/$$/fd
stty -a -f /dev/ttyU0
exit 1
) >/tmp/stty 2>&1

The 'ls' showed quite clearly that fd 0 and 1 were closed when the chat
script was invoked.  I'm currently bypassing the problem via this chat

exec 2>/tmp/PPPD
exec 0</dev/ttyU0
exec 1>/dev/ttyU0

ls -l /proc/$$/fd  >&2

/usr/sbin/chat -s -v -V -t 10 -f /etc/ppp/peers/vz

		--Steven M. Bellovin,