Subject: Re: build distribution error on -current
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Douglas Wade Needham <cinnion@ka8zrt.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/22/2006 11:23:34
	version=3.0.3
Sender: current-users-owner@NetBSD.org

Quoting Alan Barrett (apb@cequrux.com):
> David Laight's guess was correct.  All the extra files (in DESTDIR but
> not in lists) were related to X.  If you build with the build.sh "-x"
> option and then later build without "-x" and without cleaning your work
> directories then you will encounter this problem.

This is one reason I have recommended that release builds always start
with clean build areas, and this is especially true for -current.  Our
release targets do not handle things like having built X before you do
the make release for the core sets (nor should they have to IMO, even
if it would be nice).  And then there are issues like files which were
there but which have gone away, and others.  Sure, it can be a PITA to
have to wait several more hours to get the release files when only a
few source files have changed since the last time, but things like
this are great for cron jobs or "fire off and forget about them for
awhile" sessions, so... ;)

- Doug

--
Douglas Wade Needham - KA8ZRT        UN*X Consultant & UW/BSD kernel programmer
Email:  cinnion @ ka8zrt . com       http://cinnion.ka8zrt.com