Subject: Re: build.sh iso-image; booting GENERIC from iso9660
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/20/2006 15:19:35
On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 09:39:59PM +0200, Alan Barrett wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jan 2006, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> > That's good to know and I'll flag your note so I can find it easily in
> > the future.  That said, I'll repeat my original suggestion: is there
> > any reason it shouldn't be a target in build.sh, to be used after
> > 'distribution'?
>
> You could try this patch, which has been in my private tree for
> some time.  Sorry there's no update to BUILDING.

That's great.  Thanks, Alan!

I just remembered that a GENERIC kernel does not like to boot from cd0a;
that will keep us from booting GENERIC from ISO9660 in non-emulation mode.
I believe the bug is in sys/arch/x86/x86/x86_autoconf.c:is_valid_disk(),
which is missing a 'cd' clause.  Perry Metzger has also analyzed the
problem, more deeply than I.

Dave