Subject: Re: ext2fs_write crashing (build: head snapshot 200601060000Z)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.mff.cuni.cz>
List: current-users
Date: 01/11/2006 12:16:56
On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 12:56:31AM -0800, Aravind Gottipati wrote:
> The problem I have is that the NetBSD kernel crashes when I try to use
> fetchmail+procmail to get my mail.  From the console, I can see that it
> is crashing while procmail is copying mail to my home directory.  The
> message indicates that it is crashing in the ext2fs_writer in the
> kernel.  I have verified that the ext2 file system itself is clean
> (fsck).  The same fetchmail+procmail combination works fine under
> linux.  It also works fine if the /home is a UFS filesystem.
>
> Also normal reads and writes (like a wget or cp) in the /home directory
> work just fine.  Its only the procmail (with a ext2 /home) that triggers
> this problem.  I'd appreciate any help on this.

You should read
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/kernel/#debugging_a_kernel_crash_dump
and the following questions and at least include the stack trace.
Preferably you should also build a new kernel with makeoptions DEBUG="-g",
produce a crash dump with it (reboot 0x104) and include a backtrace from
gdb.  trace/l will save the ddb backtrace in the dmesg buffer, and you can
then retrieve it from the crash dump (if you succeed to save it with
reboot 0104) by the command dmesg -M <crash dump>.

Pavel Cahyna