Subject: Re: Cross-compile NetBSD-current with case-insensitive filesystem?
To: Ken Hornstein <>
From: Bill Studenmund <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/05/2006 09:44:52

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 12:13:35PM -0500, Ken Hornstein wrote:
> >On Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 08:28:10PM -0500, Ken Hornstein wrote:
> >> NetBSD-current fails to build the distribution on this filesystem (bui=
> >> a kernel fine, though).  The problem I'm running into is a conflict be=
> >> _Exit.o (from _Exit.c) and _exit.o (from _exit.S).
> >
> >Also the "CVS" and "cvs" directories are another example of this
> >weirdness.
> Even though the CVS files ended up in the same directory as the cvs source
> files, that worked okay.  Go figure.
> >In short you need a defacto-unix-standard case sensitive file system
> >to do unixy things.  I'm amazed that Apple even considered making
> >such a file system for a Unix-based box. Hopefully HFS++ will fix this.
> >I'd gripe more about Apple, but this isn't the place to do it.
> I was playing around with an external firewire drive, and it looks like
> creating a case-sensitive bootable filesystem is relatively straightforwa=
> under 10.4.  It just takes a while to copy stuff to my firewire drive and
> back.  I guess from stuff I had read, Apple went with case-insensitive
> as a default because OS 9 was that way.

You could do this on 10.3 by manually newfs'ing. You just need to add the=
'-s' option.

I think one major reason they went with case-insensitive is that there are=
a number of human interface issues which are a lot simpler with case=20
insensitive, which is why hfs was case-insensitive in the first place. :-)

Take care,

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (NetBSD)