Subject: Re: Cross-compile NetBSD-current with case-insensitive filesystem?
To: None <>
From: Ken Hornstein <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/03/2006 12:13:35
>On Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 08:28:10PM -0500, Ken Hornstein wrote:
>> NetBSD-current fails to build the distribution on this filesystem (built
>> a kernel fine, though).  The problem I'm running into is a conflict between
>> _Exit.o (from _Exit.c) and _exit.o (from _exit.S).
>Also the "CVS" and "cvs" directories are another example of this

Even though the CVS files ended up in the same directory as the cvs source
files, that worked okay.  Go figure.

>In short you need a defacto-unix-standard case sensitive file system
>to do unixy things.  I'm amazed that Apple even considered making
>such a file system for a Unix-based box. Hopefully HFS++ will fix this.
>I'd gripe more about Apple, but this isn't the place to do it.

I was playing around with an external firewire drive, and it looks like
creating a case-sensitive bootable filesystem is relatively straightforward
under 10.4.  It just takes a while to copy stuff to my firewire drive and
back.  I guess from stuff I had read, Apple went with case-insensitive
as a default because OS 9 was that way.