Subject: 'kill -9' not always working...
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/01/2006 11:10:51
'kill -9' doesn't always work for me.  Because of the circumstances, I
suspect a race condition.

I hae problems with a Verizon EVDO card; I posted about them a little
while ago.  This note is about a problem when I try to kill pppd.

If, in the root window that's running pppd, I do ^Z and 'kill -9 <pid>',
nothing happens.  Not good, but not a big surprise; we've all seen
drivers that wedge in the kernel.

If, however, I do the 'kill -9' from a second window, it works.  That
suggests some problem about killing a stopped process, especially if
it's slightly stuck on something todo with a device driver.