Subject: Re: nfsd on i386 current hangs in vnlock
To: Bill Studenmund <>
From: Bruce O'Neel <>
List: current-users
Date: 12/15/2005 12:29:15

Is there some way to see which lock nfsd wishes and then see who hold it?
Or do I misunderstand the level that locks are held on?

I played some more last night after I came home, and, once again,
all nfsd processes were in vnlock again.  From the log messages it seemed
that everything had been frozen for over 2 hrs.

The only other thing running was a make in the pkgsrc/misc/openoffice.
This was on a different disk, under a different user, then all of the nfs
traffic.  I killed the make of openoffice and nothing seemed to unfreeze.
I rebooted and did not start the build of openoffice and everything seemed
fine this morning after about 9 hrs or so.

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 07:43:45AM -0800, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 11:12:59AM +0000, Bruce O'Neel wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a x86 system running the current from this weekend's tar files.
> > Right now it's building open office.  On top of that I have two
> > sparc 20s, each with multiple cpus, building different versions of 3.0
> > and current for sparc using the disk on the x86.  The x86 keeps hanging
> > up every 12 hrs or so with nfsd in vnlock.  Is there an easy way to fix this?
> Unfortunately that's not the direct problem, just a clear symptom. The
> problem is either that something is holding the desired lock and not
> releasing it, or that nfsd keeps losing a race to aquire the lock (it's
> released, then it's re-aquired before nfsd can get it).
> I don't have any other clues for you, but the issue really involves
> whatever is holding the lock. So the other things going on on the system
> are important.
> Oh, one quick question, does the problem resolve itself? If you leave the
> system alone, does it recover?
> If not, another issue could be that you have found a deadlock issue. :-(
> Take care,
> Bill

SDF Public Access UNIX System -