Subject: Re: Hitachi 4G microdrive in the PCMCIA slot
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Ernie Dunbar <maillist@lightspeed.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 12/07/2005 23:21:55
> Windows XP recognises the card in the PCMCIA slot, so there is likely no
> hardware issue.

Like they used to say in the old days: open mouth, insert foot, echo
internationally.

Duh, the PCMCIA slot. I'm using the CF slot in my MobilePro. Although
Windows CE sees no real distinction between the two and refers to the CF
slot as "PCMCIA Slot 2". I use that as my defence.

The trick is that I still get the same error message that you get, and
it's because my particular Hitachi microdrive is one of those that's "IDE
Only". I suspect that may be the root of the problem, since it doesn't
work in WinCE either. Normal flash cards work fine and can even be
hot-swapped in NetBSD, but I suspect that my particular interface just
won't do IDE only devices.