Subject: Re: iwi WiFi interface firmware load on boot
To: Martijn van Buul <pino+gmane_os_netbsd_current@dohd.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/05/2005 11:25:49
On Sat, 3 Dec 2005, Martijn van Buul wrote:

> [This message has also been posted to gmane.os.netbsd.current.]
> It occurred to me that Curt Sampson wrote in gmane.os.netbsd.current:
>> On Sat, 3 Dec 2005, thilo wrote:
>>
>>> isn't it better to keep that setup in ifconfig.iwi ?
>>
>> Possibly. Does this work with dhclient? (I.e., will ifconfig.iwi load
>> all the right stuff, and then dhclient will be able to use it?) I had
>> assumed you do one or the other.
>
> It'll work just fine; if you take a look at /etc/rc.d/dhclient, you'll
> see that it REQUIREs 'network', which is PROVIDEd by /etc/rc.d/network (Who
> is responsible for the ifconfig.iwi0 stuff. I use it to setup the desired
> ssid and nwkey so that I'll end up being connected with *MY* access point,
> instead of my neighbours ;)

Ok, I see. So the basic value of an rc.d script would just be that it
would make setup a little more obvious to newbies. Is this worthwhile,
do you think? Or would it be better just to drop the idea and let users
who don't know how to do this learn about ifconfig.iwi0 some other way?

cjs
--
Curt Sampson            <cjs@cynic.net>             +81 90 7737 2974
   by those who have not got it.    --George Bernard Shaw