Subject: Re: Truly bizarre problem with GRE tunnel.
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@astron.com>
From: Lars-Johan Liman <liman@autonomica.se>
List: current-users
Date: 12/04/2005 10:44:59
christos@astron.com:
> I think that we had this backwards and it was causing interoperability
> problems, and it was changed. Can you recompile your ZC system with this
> patch:

Unfortunatelly not easily. My src tree has been uppgraded numerous
times since then. I try to keep the sys part of all -currents that I
actually have in operation, but sometimes I forget to tar it up
before I do an upgrade. This is such a case. :-(

I could check out an old tree using "date" I suppose. It'll take some
time, though.

BTW, when was the patch added to the tree?

> Alternatively use a gif tunnel. You'll be much happier.

I'm not fond of tunnels, and I have no prejudice against one type or
another, so that's OK with me.

What are the advantages with gif versus gre?

... AND, my big question is:

Why did the outgoing packet look different from the incoming one in my
tcpdumps? Are you telling me that the code in the patch is applied
_before_ tcpdump picks up the packet on the incoming interface on my
server?!

If there is such code - then what use is tcpdump?

				Cheers,
				  /Liman