Subject: Re: Unmount tmpfs before removing swap?
To: None <>
From: Martijn van Buul <>
List: current-users
Date: 11/27/2005 21:32:27
It occurred to me that Magnus Henoch wrote in gmane.os.netbsd.current:
> Yesterday I shut down my computer.  I had a tmpfs mounted on /tmp, and
> it held so much data that it wouldn't fit in physical memory.  Thus,
> when the shutdown scripts removed the swap partition, the kernel
> started paging it all in, and eventually ran out of memory and froze.
> Maybe all tmpfs systems should be unmounted before swap is removed.
> (Or maybe I should just set swapoff=NO in rc.conf, as my swap is not
> on RAID)

Are you swapping to a file? AFAIK turning off swapping to "proper"
block-devices is one of the last things done during shutdown, while turning
off swapping to files happens much much earlier.

    Martijn van Buul - -
	 Geek code: G--  - Visit OuterSpace: 3333
discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' (I found it!) but 'That's funny ...' Isaac Asimov