Subject: Re: Recording silence is definitely not golden
To: None <darcy@NetBSD.org>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 11/24/2005 17:03:13
On 23-Nov-05, at 9:41 AM, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 18:33:05 +0000
> Rui Paulo <rpaulo@fnop.net> wrote:
>> On 2005.11.22 12:15:55 -0500, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
>> | It seems that NetBSD does not do audio recording.  There are all
>> sorts
>> | of tools to do so but when I use them all I record is silence.
>> I found
>> | a few messages in the archives from people with the same problem
>> but no
>> | answers.
>>
>> I cannot do full-duplex. That's the only problem I have.
>
> But you can do something.  From the responses it appears that my
> problem may simply be a crappy on-board sound controller.  I am going
> to get a SoundBlaster card and try again.  Anyone have any advice on
> that?  I would like to keep it in the under $100 (Canadian) range if I
> can.  Quality doesn't have to be ultra great.  Mostly I am just
> recording my band's rehearsals for our own study.

tigerdirect.ca has C-Media cards for ~$14. Heck, if you even wanted
to get fancy, you could order a SoundBlaster Live! 24-bit for $45:

	64 audio channel playback with independent sample rates
	24-bit Analog-to-Digital conversion of analog inputs at 96kHz sample
rate
	24-bit Digital-to-Analog conversion of digital sources at 96kHz to
analog 5.1 speaker output
	16-bit and 24-bit recording with sampling rates of 8, 11.025, 16,
22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48 and 96kHz
	SPDIF output up to 24-bit resolution at selectable sampling rate of
44.1, 48 or 96kHz

Seems decent to me :)

Cheers,
Jared