Subject: Re: postinstall fixes failed: gid sendmail uid
To: Manuel Bouyer <>
From: Pavel Cahyna <>
List: current-users
Date: 11/22/2005 00:14:13
On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 12:03:02AM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> Ha, then it's probably dependant on the version of tar. I tried on 1.6.2
> which is GNU tar.
> I tried again with pax-as-tar, and it uses the uid if the user is unknown.
> But if the user exists, it use the uid on the local system, not the
> uid of the system where the archive was created.

So, could anybody please add note to the INSTALL documents that the new
users and groups should have specific UIDs/GIDs?

Otherwise, if you extract before and create the users after and don't pay
attention to IDs, you can have problems.

The document in question is

for _pflogd and authpf,

for smmsp.

The change should be trivial...