Subject: Re: postinstall fixes failed: gid sendmail uid
To: John Nemeth <>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 11/21/2005 01:27:39
At 15:40 Uhr -0800 20.11.2005, John Nemeth wrote:
>} >     sysinst automatically runs postinstall after unpacking etc.tgz.
>} >It doesn't automatically run etcupdate.
>} Ah, okay, if you upgrade with sysinst...
>} Although I don't really see the point in doing that. I mean - you already
>     Because it is quick and simple.

And incomplete, since both by its batch approach and by the tools that
sysinst does (and does not) provide it cannot resolve conflicts

>} have a running system, with a toolset more complete and comfy than what
>} sysinst has to offer (run etcupdate with ed(1)? ;). And if [sysinst] for
>} whatever reason stumbles half way through the update, you get to clean -
>} no, wait, you get to find out what it has changed first, and then clean up
>} after it. BTST, BTT.
>} What I do to update a system is
>} (1) install new kernel, reboot
>} (2) 'shutdown now', untar all the sets except etc.tgz and xetc.tgz, reboot
>} (4) untar etc.tgz into /newetc or similar
>} (5) run etcupdate -a -l -v -b /newetc
>} (6) run postinstall -s /path/to/etc.tgz {check,fix}, reboot
>     Are you really expecting the average enduser to do this?

When you do it for the third time, it's a ten minutes job on a decent machine.

What is the "average enduser", btw.? Especially on NetBSD? Yes, I expect
the "average *admin*" updating a system to have an idea what's going about
in /etc - or to use a Linux OS with big, friendly, lickable buttons.

>  I've
>certainly done similar things in the past, especially if I'm updating a
>system remotely; but, it isn't something I would expect of the average
>enduser.  BTW, you forgot update the bootblocks in your list.

Not on mac68k.   ;)

And it is hardly ever necessary on other systems - definitely not in the
4-8 week rhythm I update machines @ work.

>This illustrates that one reason for using sysinst is that it does
>everything that is needed to be done.

No, it does not, since it cannot merge with conflicting local changes.

And if anything breaks, esp. on the Lesser Platforms (see for what
happened to me a while back), then you get to keep the pieces and need way
more low-level knowledge to clean up after sysinst than with the procedure
outlined above.