Subject: Re: postinstall fixes failed: gid sendmail uid
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 11/20/2005 20:49:26
At 13:05 Uhr -0800 19.11.2005, John Nemeth wrote:
>} What surprises me more is that the OP did not consider running etcupdate(8)
>} before postinstall. Since that nicely takes care of updating things that
>} may result in conflicts with local changes, I do not really see the need of
>
>     sysinst automatically runs postinstall after unpacking etc.tgz.
>It doesn't automatically run etcupdate.

Ah, okay, if you upgrade with sysinst...

Although I don't really see the point in doing that. I mean - you already
have a running system, with a toolset more complete and comfy than what
sysinst has to offer (run etcupdate with ed(1)? ;). And if etcupdate for
whatever reason stumbles half way through the update, you get to clean -
no, wait, you get to find out what it has changed first, and then clean up
after it. BTST, BTT.

What I do to update a system is

(1) install new kernel, reboot
(2) 'shutdown now', untar all the sets except etc.tgz and xetc.tgz, reboot
(4) untar etc.tgz into /newetc or similar
(5) run etcupdate -a -l -v -b /newetc
(6) run postinstall -s /path/to/etc.tgz {check,fix}, reboot

	hauke

Notes:
(3) I keep a handy shellscript around that compares the md5 hashes and
untars the proper tarballs.
(5) etcupdate should be enabled to use an etc.tgz tarball like postinstall.