Subject: Re: uvm_fault()s with heavy pkgsrc activity
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas E. Spanjaard <tgen@netphreax.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/12/2005 00:41:10
--------------enig7A7F817CFBDB102636C0E360

Thomas E. Spanjaard wrote:
> I have no real clue as to why this happens, but I suspect it
> happens as soon as UVM tries to swap pages out.

As suggested by Steven M. Bellovin, I have been running memtest86 for
two hours. In those two hours, it completed 3 passes of the complete
test without errors. Also, I've tried filling RAM by using simultaneous
runs of benchmarks/forkbomb with the -M option, thereby exhausting
physical RAM. This showed no problems as well. Running a FireFox session
with a lot of tabs consuming 800MB of memory in total also showed no
problem.

Then, I then tried finishing building multimedia/xine-ui while keeping
an eye on the CPU temperature (with envstat, acpitz(4)). During this
session the temperature was somewhat stable at 58 to 60 centigrade. I
didn't see any uvm_fault()s this time. So, this still leaves me at a
loss as to the cause. I really appreciate any input people can give me :).

Cheers,
--
		-- Thomas E. Spanjaard
		   tgen@netphreax.net