Subject: Re: 'unusual' resolutions on X
To: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
From: Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/11/2005 14:49:45
On Nov 11, 2005, at 2:12 PM, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:
>> nVidia seems to have significantly better support for open source
>> drivers
>> at the present time than ATI does, so you're probably looking at a
>> 6600 or
>> 6800GT or GS for AGP, or the 7x00 for PCIe.
>
> FWIW, I'm long time ATI user and I find the X drivers stable and
> complete.
> Currently happy ATI Radeon 9600 camper ...

Don't get me wrong, I've got an ATI x800 Pro in my home machine, but
neither xorg nor Xfree86 supports DRI and hardware accel for it the
last time I tried.  Most of the ATI support in X was done by Eric
Anholt, Thomas Dickey and that crew, which is also the case for the
open-source driver support for nVidia cards.

nVidia seems to be pretty active about providing binary drivers for
the BSD's and even Solaris, not just Windows, Mac, and Linux, whereas
ATI supports only the last three.

YMMV...

--
-Chuck