Subject: Re: problem with tmpfs and linux emulation?
To: Matthias Scheler <>
From: Bill Studenmund <>
List: current-users
Date: 11/10/2005 16:05:02

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 10:50:07PM +0000, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> In article <>,
> 	Matt Thomas <> writes:
> > This implies that the linux_sys_read syscall (and friends) needs to know
> > if it's reading from a directory, and if so, do the getdents dance itse=
> Yes, indeed.
> > This would be filesystem independent.  And ugly as hell.
> Why? Figuring out that it is a directory can be done by looking on the vn=

I think the problem is that the layering doesn't make this convenient. The=
level that can easily see the vnode, the vn layer, is deep past the place=
where we abstract away the emulation. So we either add a hook to determine=
emulation, teach all emulations how to read directories, or cook up a way=
so that linux opens of directories get a different vn vector which will do=
the right thing.

Take care,

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (NetBSD)