Subject: Re: 'unusual' resolutions on X
To: Kevin Lahey <kml@patheticgeek.net>
From: Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/08/2005 22:40:11
Kevin Lahey wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 18:07:58 -0600
>>In message <20051109000644.GF12021@snowdrop.l8s.co.uk>, David Laight writes:
>>>Buy a 20" LCD, you won't regret it....
>>
>>Seconded.  I got a Samsung SyncMaster 213T, and I have never been so happy
>>and productive in my life.  It is a thing of wonder and joy.
>
> Speaking of wonderful displays, does anyone have good recommendations for
> a dual DVI video card that works using open source drivers?  PCI or PCIe
> would be a win, as AGP seems to be rapidly disappearing from motherboards...
>
> I guess just grabbing two PCI cards wouldn't be the end of the world, either.

You don't want to get a PCI-based video card if you can avoid it.  If you've
got a PCIe motherboard now, it makes sense to get a PCIe video card, otherwise
get an AGP-based card now, and revisit PCIe decision a year or two later when
you want to replace your MB, CPU, and so forth with a completely new system.

nVidia seems to have significantly better support for open source drivers at
the present time than ATI does, so you're probably looking at a 6600 or 6800GT
or GS for AGP, or the 7x00 for PCIe.

--
-Chuck