Subject: Re: Looking for A/D & digital I/O interface for NetBSD system
To: Ken Hornstein <>
From: Neil Ludban <>
List: current-users
Date: 11/07/2005 14:42:03
Ken Hornstein wrote:
> Howdy all,
> I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive box/card/USB dongle/serial
> port thing that has a few digital output lines and at least one A/D
> converter.  I need at least three digital outputs and only one analog
> input.  I know I could build such a thing using any number of
> microcontrollers, but I would rather buy something at this stage.  My
> idea was to hang this off of a Soekis box (running NetBSD of couse)
> which restricts things to USB or serial, but if there was something
> that was relatively cheap available in an ISA or PCI form I'd be
> willing to reconsider (I know the Soekris has digital I/O pins
> available, but I didn't see one that had any form of A/D on them).  I'm
> okay with writing a device driver for said device if that's what it
> takes, as long as some form of documentation is available.
> If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.  Thanks!
> --Ken

Several ideas from my TODO list:

Digital I/O on the NET4801 was added recently:
Adding I2C to this should be nearly trivial.
Demo boards from
Newer chips have support for parallel, UART, and user-defined synchronous
serial protocols.  Some of the demo boards have a picMicro processor which
could be used for A2D.  Linux driver source is available, I don't think I
ever able to found any complete protocol documentation.
Claims to be open source friendly.  Source includes Linux and Mac OS-X
driver support.  Looks like its "libusb" is the portable layer.  The
Linux version compiles under NetBSD, but only because they've included
several Linux OS header files...