Subject: Re: INTEL 82573E on CURRENT
To: Marcin Jessa <lists@yazzy.org>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/29/2005 13:09:23
--3rxX7Uty8SZY8iU1

On Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 01:51:25AM +0000, Marcin Jessa wrote:
> Hi.
>=20
> Since there was no response to my question I correctly assumed the
> card is not supported yet.=20
> So I took a look at /usr/src/sys/dev/pci/if_wm.c and added device
> definition there.
> It's being recognised now, I can assign an IP to it but it's yet not
> fully functioning. Output of dmesg shows:
> wm0 at pci2 dev 0 function 0: Intel i82573E 1000BASE-T Ethernet, rev. 3
> wm0: interrupting at irq 10
> wm0: 32-bit 33MHz PCI bus
> wm0: 256 word (8 address bits) SPI EEPROM
> wm0: Ethernet address ff:00:13:d4:b0:3c

This address is highly suspicious, as it is a broadcast one.

> ifconfig wm0 shows:
> wm0: flags=3D8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         capabilities=3D2bf80<TSO4,IP4CSUM_Rx,IP4CSUM_Tx,TCP4CSUM_Rx,TCP4C=
SUM_Tx,UDP4CSUM_Rx,UDP4CSUM_Tx,TCP6CSUM_Tx,UDP6CSUM_Tx>
>         enabled=3D0
>         address: ff:00:13:d4:b0:3c
>         media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX
> full-duplex,flowcontrol,rxpause,txpause) status: active
>         inet 192.168.14.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.14.255
>         inet6 fe80::20a:cdff:fe0a:78ba%wm0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
>=20
> I can make it ping itself but nothing outside on
> the network (although the arp table shows corrspondning MAC-addresses
> of the IPs i am trying to ping) and it in general behaves incorrectly.

Which means it mostly works, but of course the MAC you get prevents you
from receiving anything.

> Now I would need some help from you guys to learn from this experience
> and to finish my work. The first question is what is MII/PHY and how to
> find out if my network card requires it?
> /usr/src/sys/dev/mii/inphy.c and iophy.c has some code for misc I825XX
> cards. Mine is not listed there.

So what does attach to wm0?  You're not showing it.

> The nic is an onboard nic shiped with ASUS P5LD2-VM motherboards.
>=20
> Any pointers, manuals, pdfs etc would be highly appreciated.

Intel has everything you need, though it's not always easy to find the
link to the doc.

--=20

--3rxX7Uty8SZY8iU1

--3rxX7Uty8SZY8iU1--