Subject: Re: INTEL 82573E on CURRENT
To: Marcin Jessa <>
From: Marcin Jessa <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/29/2005 01:51:25

Since there was no response to my question I correctly assumed the
card is not supported yet.
So I took a look at /usr/src/sys/dev/pci/if_wm.c and added device
definition there.
It's being recognised now, I can assign an IP to it but it's yet not
fully functioning. Output of dmesg shows:
wm0 at pci2 dev 0 function 0: Intel i82573E 1000BASE-T Ethernet, rev. 3
wm0: interrupting at irq 10
wm0: 32-bit 33MHz PCI bus
wm0: 256 word (8 address bits) SPI EEPROM
wm0: Ethernet address ff:00:13:d4:b0:3c

ifconfig wm0 shows:
        address: ff:00:13:d4:b0:3c
        media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX
full-duplex,flowcontrol,rxpause,txpause) status: active
        inet netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast
        inet6 fe80::20a:cdff:fe0a:78ba%wm0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1

I can make it ping itself but nothing outside on
the network (although the arp table shows corrspondning MAC-addresses
of the IPs i am trying to ping) and it in general behaves incorrectly.
Now I would need some help from you guys to learn from this experience
and to finish my work. The first question is what is MII/PHY and how to
find out if my network card requires it?
/usr/src/sys/dev/mii/inphy.c and iophy.c has some code for misc I825XX
cards. Mine is not listed there.
The nic is an onboard nic shiped with ASUS P5LD2-VM motherboards.

Any pointers, manuals, pdfs etc would be highly appreciated.