Subject: SATA software RAID-inkernel vs hardware
To: NetBSD-current <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Marcin Jessa <lists@yazzy.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/26/2005 13:17:27
Hi guys.

I need to set up a server with two RAID1 SATA drives to do mirroring.
I was wondering if there was any point in using software RAID
controllers like FastTrak S150 TX4.
I've found some info avaliable for Linux and people say kernel raid is
as good as any BIOS raid. Would that be true for NetBSD as well?
Also using a PCI card for the disc drives in place of the built in SATA
interface may degrade performance, since the built in SATA is probably
on a different PCI bus to plug in cards.

So what would you guys suggest? Keep the card or go for
RAIDframe implementation?
How well does RAIDframe work on 3.x kernels when it comes to
performance and what's more importand in my case of RAID 1 recovery when
one of the drives fails?

Cheers,
Marcin.