Subject: kern/30008 & NetBSD 3.0_BETA: "cannot enable executable stack"
To: None <>
From: Brian de Alwis <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/25/2005 19:33:50
I upgraded my machine to the NetBSD 3.0_BETA from the NetBSD-daily
build of 20051020.  Everything's worked fine, except now many of
my linux programs are barfing with errors like:

    ShadowDesktopRun: error while loading shared libraries: cannot enable executable stack as shared object requires: Permission denied

I get this with a number of programs, include the Sun JDK,
mozilla-linux, and others.  Unfortunately I need the JDK for my

Hunting around for the last while, I stumbled across kern/30008
and some other messages, but I've found not solutions.

On the Linux side, I found references to a command execstack(8),
part of a prelink package.  I've hunted this down to
<>; unfortunately none of
the Linux boxes I have access to come with this program, and it's
not willingly compiling on the SuSE boxes here.s

As I try to figure out how to get it to compile, I thought I'd post
this to see if anybody else had come up with a better solution.

  Brian de Alwis | Software Practices Lab | UBC |
      "Amusement to an observing mind is study." - Benjamin Disraeli