Subject: Re: big YAY to current and vmware (fat finger trouble)
To: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/24/2005 11:53:50
--Uh5vC42CCWf1BSFB

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 11:43:48AM +1000, George Michaelson wrote:
  | On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 11:34:14 +1000
  | Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org> wrote:
  | =20
  | > Instead I added support to the bootloader's "-a" (askroot)
  | > flag to allow you to override the path to init(8) at boot.
  | > I've actually used this to recover when I've accidentally
  | > hosed /sbin/init, /lib/libc.so* or /libexec/ld.elf_so.
  |=20
  | aha! so can this be used to get to running state out of /rescue?
  | (eg have the kernel wait to be told to run /rescue/sh or something)

It sure can.

When you boot -a to /rescue/init, it uses /rescue/sh instead of /bin/sh,
and sets up /rescue at the start of the $PATH, so things should "just work"
even if /libexec/ld.elf_so or /lib/libc.so.12 is hosed.

This is precisely the reason why I invented /rescue and why I made
the enhancements to the kernel's RB_ASKNAME (boot -a) operation.

(I think there's a couple of places where the /rescue tools haven't
been fully converted to using /rescue instead of /usr/bin (et al);
we should chase up some changes that FreeBSD made when they borrowed
the /rescue concept from us in NetBSD.)

--Uh5vC42CCWf1BSFB

--Uh5vC42CCWf1BSFB--