Subject: Re: big YAY to current and vmware (fat finger trouble)
To: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/24/2005 11:34:14
--tiRLYWOIGJM7cMtF

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 10:57:56AM +1000, George Michaelson wrote:
  | This meant I'd lost /sbin/init as well as any shared lib tool, whilst
  | single user. (incidentally, the kernel doesn't seem to fall back on
  | looking in /rescue for anything. Wouldn't this make sense,
  | if /sbin/init is hosed?) -instantly unusable system.

We considered falling back to /sbin/init, but there wasn't an
easy way to determine if /sbin/init exiting was deliberate or
a startup failure (especially if the failure occurred during
dynamic linking).

Instead I added support to the bootloader's "-a" (askroot)
flag to allow you to override the path to init(8) at boot.
I've actually used this to recover when I've accidentally
hosed /sbin/init, /lib/libc.so* or /libexec/ld.elf_so.

cheers,
Luke.

--tiRLYWOIGJM7cMtF

--tiRLYWOIGJM7cMtF--