Subject: Re: Sun Type6 USB keyboard & X
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/23/2005 20:36:22
Sean Davis <dive-nb@endersgame.net> writes:
> I've recently switched to a type6 usb keyboard on my PC. Using wskbd @ ukbd
> is working just fine for console and X, however I'm wondering.. where do I
> need to dig around if I'd like to use the sun buttons (the L pad on the left,
> and the volume controls/sleep button on the right)? I was looking at output
> from xev, and nothing happens when those keys are punched. I would like to
> bind them to perform useful functions (or at least keystrokes) but I don't
> see how I could do that with xmodmap if xev isn't even picking up
> keypress/release events.
>
> Any pointers would be much appreciated.

A lot of this stuff gets swallowed by the ws driver before it ever
gets high enough up the stack for anything to see it. I tried diving
in a long time ago to find the "extra" keys on my microsoft natural
keyboard. I'm afraid that although I verified the USB device was
sending the codes I gave up after a while trying to understand the
wscons stuff well enough to fix the issue.

FYI, there is documentation on Microsoft's web site about all sorts of
key codes a modern keyboard can generate over USB -- there is this big
table I got the last time I was playing with this.

Perry