Subject: Re: gem (ERI/GEM/GMAC Ethernet device driver) has problems on macppc -current
To: Timo Schoeler <>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/21/2005 04:12:50
In message <>, Timo Schoeler writes:

>i said on a plain dumb SMC 10/100 _hub_ this problem appears. then i
>tried the Nortel 450 (_switch) -- this runs fine in full duplex mode.
>when i then manually set both the switch (managed) and the G4 to half
>duplex, the problem occurs again.
>when using the SMC _hub_ the machine automatically sets the NIC to half
>duplex as it should be.

In other words, whenver your machine is supposed to use half-duplex,
you get these failures, whether the setting is manual or automatic.  I
don't know if it's a bug in the chip or the driver, though.  I don't
recall all of the details of this thread, but how do other OSs behave?
Do any succeed in such a situation? If so, it's probably a driver bug.

		--Steven M. Bellovin,