Subject: Re: gem (ERI/GEM/GMAC Ethernet device driver) has problems on macppc
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
From: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@riscworks.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/19/2005 09:38:09
Matthias Scheler wrote:
> In article <435551CA.7000500@riscworks.net>,
> 	Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@riscworks.net> writes:
>
>>Oct 18 13:28:33 ubiytsa /netbsd: gem0: discarding oversize frame (len=13364)
>>Oct 18 13:28:33 ubiytsa /netbsd: gem0: receive error: CRC error
>

> I've seen a similar error with NetBSD 3.0_BETA uniprocessor kernel on a
> Powermac G4 a few weeks ago. But it only happend infrequently on a not
> trustworthy network (multi level switched ethernet with more that a
> thousand of hosts on it). I've never seen this on the same machine
> while it was connected to my home network.
 >

>>the machine is connected to a 10/100 hub ...
>

> What about the cable?

the cabel is perfect, tried to use another one, same problem. other OSs
on that machine have absolutely no problem with that cable.

>>... which makes no trouble to any of the other six connected
>>machines/devices.
>

> Do you use hardware checksumo offload?

no. it's disabled.

> Does the driver support the
> correct mode (100MBit half-duplex)?

yip.

everything okay as i checked before filing the PR.

(btw: IIRC i had the same issue on a G3 b&w in the office (this runs a
bm0 NIC then) where i put in some spare NICs (fxp) to circumvent the
problem. i'll do some reseach when i'm in the office.)

thanks,

timo