Subject: Re: GPIO on the Soekris net4801
To: Jared D. McNeill <>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/15/2005 18:12:33
In message <>, "Jared D. McNei
ll" writes:
>On 15-Oct-05, at 6:24 PM, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>> In message <>,
>> "Jared D. McNei
>> ll" writes:
>>> I think this is the only difference between our kernel configs. Can
>>> you try adding 'isa0 at gscpcib0' to your kernel config?
>> No joy:
>Strange. I'm still running 3.99.9; you can have a peek at my kernel
>config here:
>Does removing nsclpcsio and/or gscpcib make the problem disappear?
>I'm having a hard time trying to think of a correlation here...

Deleting the gscpcib lines lets me boot; however, I can't turn on the
light.  (OTOH, your instructions for doing that seem inconsistent with
the man page -- you say to configure it with 'gpioctl -c 20 on pp'
but 'on' isn't listed as a flag.  Should that be 'out'?)

I still see the problem with nsclpcsio deleted.

My guess -- and I'll happily confess I don't understand the bus
structure of i386s or autoconfig -- is that this line is the problem:

	gscpcib* at pci? dev ? function ?       # NS Geode PCI-ISA w/ GPIO support

Somehow, the presence of that bridge is either masking the geodeide bus
or autoconfig thinks that it does.  I note that it said:

	geodeide0 at pci0 dev 18 function 2

	gscpcib0 at pci0 dev 18 function 0

i.e., both have the same device number.  I know that that can work (my
laptop has such a configuration), but does it always?

		--Steven M. Bellovin,