Subject: Re: strange behaviour (mabye cauesed by I did not RTFM)
To: NetBSD current-users <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Antoine Reilles <Antoine.Reilles@loria.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 10/14/2005 18:30:08
Hi,

On Oct 14, 2005, at 6:11 PM, Roine Thunberg wrote:
> I'm new to current-builds and I experienced an anoying behaviour.
> I've build current yesterday from sources.
>
> Almost everything went on smoothly as I expected, until I rebooted
> with the new userland. Authification error due to "pam" could not
> be started. Now was the question how to login. I couldn't login as
> user nor root in console. However, I could login via ssh as user
> (?). Could not "su" myself. ...pam-error.
>
> I got help from http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-pam.html though.
> I found out with some help that /etc/pam.d was empty (even after a
> "/etc/postinstall"). Had to boot up in single-user mode, edit some
> nessecary files to put in /etc/pam.d and suddenly it worked.
> I didn't see any post of this behaviour in "src/BUILDING". If I
> had, I could have edit the nessecay files before rebooting after "./
> build.sh -U install=/"
in src/UPDATING, the entry at 20050109 advertises for populating etc/
pam.d
It is in general useful to read that file, it avoids a lot of
troubles (and this is the place the documentation asks to read:
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/current/)

> ...or was there error in my source when building which made this
> "error". Seems running fine now and it has a nice version number.
> What would be the next ? =)
You should try etcupdate, it helps a lot keeping /etc almost correct

Have fun with -current,

antoine