Subject: Re: OT: Any experience with Apple Cinema Display
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Timm Wetzel <twetzel@gwdg.de>
List: current-users
Date: 10/06/2005 14:31:40
Chuck Silvers wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 05:10:17PM +0200, Juergen Hannken-Illjes wrote:
>
>>My main CRT (an EIZO FlexScan 6600-m) died and now I'm looking for a TFT.
>>
>>The "Apple Cinema Display 23 (M9178ZM)" looks good.
>>
>>Is anyone running this display (DVI-D, 1920x1200) on NetBSD/x86?
>>What graphic card will be best to drive it?

I was about to note that problems with digitally connected displays
(especially Apples's?) and Radeons were noticed on various platforms.

> I've been using this display with a radeon 9600XT with no problems.
> note that I did have to use a cvs version of the xorg X server,
> the 6.8.2 release didn't work.  (nor did xfree.)

(even more OT)

Could you explain how it failed?

I'm asking because I've unsuccessfully tried to get a 17in Apple LCD
working with a (Mac) Radeon 7500, using both XFree and pkgsrc Xorg 6.8.2.

The display invariably goes black (and stays black after stopping the
server), although the X server seems completely happy.
I've tried to apply later X patches in the radeon driver, but it didn't
help.

Regards,
Timm