Subject: Re: ath driver and wep
To: Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/02/2005 13:49:42
Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com> writes:

> Greg Troxel wrote:
>
> None my laptops resume properly on freebsd (undoubtedly operator error).

I think you mean they don't resume at all, so you therefore don't know
if ath resume works.

> >  It seems reasonable to allow drivers to power off cards that are
> >  not UP.  I wonder if it makes sense to have a call in net80211
> >  that a driver can invoke to say "push hardware settings to me
> >  again" that invokes the wep key write methods and perhaps other
> >  things.  This may be the only case, but it felt like a bit of an
> >  abstraction violation to be iterating over the key array.
>
> It's likely something must be done specially for resume because
> there are more than wep keys to restore (e.g. the unicast key(s) for
> wpa/802.1x).  To be honest sta mode operation has been lower
> priority than ap mode; e.g. I still haven't finished power save
> support.

I think what you are saying is that resume is harder than powering up
only for UP, since at resume time we might have per-peer state to push
into the key cache.  When bringing an interface UP, there shouldn't be
any such state since and up->down transition presumably clears the
node table.

I don't see how AP mode avoids the losing wep keys when powered down
issue.

I'm using ibss mode, for what that's worth.

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>