Subject: Re: matlab and the new ptys
To: Simon Burge <>
From: Hauke Fath <>
List: current-users
Date: 09/23/2005 12:56:17
Simon Burge wrote:
> Juan RP wrote:
>>Do you have /dev/pts mounted with mount_ptyfs?
>>I think you need this...
> Note that on the netbsd-3 branch, the only reference to ptyfs in any
> kernel config file for any arch is in i386/conf/GENERIC.MPACPI where
> it says:
>   #file-system   PTYFS           # experimental - /dev/ptm support
> and mount_ptyfs(8) says:
>   BUGS
>      This filesystem may not be NFS-exported.  This filesystem is experimen-
>      tal.

I've added "file-system PTYFS" to the kernel config, built a new kernel,
created /dev/pts, added a ptyfs mount to fstab, and Matlab is happy again.

Arguably, the above entry should be added to all the i386 kernel config
files for netbsd-3. How big are the differences in the ptyfs code
between current (where most of the kernel config files have said entry
enabled) and netbsd-3?

/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign                    Hauke Fath
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email	        Institut für Nachrichtentechnik
  X     No Word docs in email	                  TU Darmstadt
/ \  Respect for open standards              Ruf +49-6151-16-3281