Subject: Re: bridge and IPs
To: Marcin Jessa <>
From: Daniel Carosone <>
List: current-users
Date: 09/22/2005 09:20:31

On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 11:13:48PM +0000, Marcin Jessa wrote:
> Is anyone working on possibility to assign IP addresses to bridgeX ineter=
faces the way it's possible on FreeBSD?
> Or am I doing something wrong?
> # ifconfig bridge0 inet
> ifconfig: SIOCAIFADDR: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> I know one can assign IP to a bridge member but to be honest I was frankl=
y suprised to discover I can assign IP to a tap dev but not bridge.
> I am on 3.99.9

It's not presently possible.  It's something I've wished for in the
past, too, in particular for cases where the set of interfaces in a
bridge is subject to change.

As you've figured out, the best thing to do is create a tap interface,
give it the upper-layer addresses you want, and add it to the bridge.
The main thing this brings is a unique MAC address to bind to the IP
address in ARP replies.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (NetBSD)