Subject: Re: gzip and amanda conflict?
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Gilbert Fernandes <gilbert.fernandes@spamcop.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/19/2005 23:06:00
> But it's not!

I was basing my belief on what www.gzip.org paragraph about the files
over 4 Gb problem. It said :

----8>----8>----8>

Files already compressed without the patch are correct; the patch is
useful only for decompression. Decompression with zcat outputs the
correct data plus an error message length error that you can ignore
for a single file. For example you can decompress with

     gunzip < file.gz > file

zcat on multiple files will stop at the first error so use the patch
to avoid any problem.

But since our gzip already has the patch inside as it was said in
another message, this look weird.

The modulo idea is very good :)

As long our gzip files can be decompressed by gzip elsewhere it's ok I
guess >:>

--
unzip ; strip ; touch ; grep ; finger ; mount ; fsck ; more ; yes ;
fsck ; umount ; sleep