Subject: Re: FSCK fails after a crash
To: Vincent <10.50@free.fr>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/16/2005 18:50:05
On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 08:27:55AM +0200, Vincent wrote:

> >Right.  And fsck should be able to handle it no matter what, I would
> >think.
>
> Well, there we are: booting from a floppy kernel, I did a fsck which
> worked fine, no problem whatsoever. It just happens that the previous
> fsck slaughtered one of my partitions (/usr/pkg): there were no
> sub-repertories anymore. I had to start over compiling tonight? Good
> opportunity to clean up some oddities.
>
> I wonder if there is a bug in the latest fsck, or if this has something
> to do with recent changes in kernel (compat ?).

I don't think is has something to do with the kernel. fsck should be standalone
in this regard. I suspect a field somewhere which has been changed to
64bit when it should not have (because the on-disk format didn't change),
but the person who did the change should know better.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>