Subject: Re: X-Window system and video CLE266 chipset (was: Xwindows and video CLE266 chipset)
To: None <pereyra.roberto@gmail.com>
From: Rob Healey <rhealey@norstar.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/16/2005 10:50:31
On Sep 16, 2005, at 7:03 AM, Roberto Pereyra wrote:

> Hi ! Thanks for your reply !
>
> When I run xf86cfg, the notebook display goes black and I must to
> restart the system.

For almost 2 years I've tried to get the VIA Ultrachrome graphics to
work under NetBSD with no luck; I've always had to get some cheepo
PCI/AGP graphics card to use instead.

Something about NetBSD causes the via and sometimes the VESA drivers
to blank the screen and require a hard reboot to get it back!

This doesn't happen under Linux or Solaris 10 so it must have
something to do with the way the hardware is accessed under NetBSD;
I've tried versions 1.4 through current with the same results.

I'd LOVE for the various UltraChrome chipsets to work so I don't have
to add PCI/AGP graphics cards solely because NetBSD doesn't know how
to properly access the Unichrome hardware/registers...

Just a data point that probably doesn't help you with a laptop...

-Rob