Subject: Re: USB Scanner suggestions?
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
From: Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/11/2005 17:18:02
Thanks for all the replies!

I decided on an Epson Perfection 2480 Photo (still some
remaining pieces sold, and sane homepage claimed support).

And, it works :)

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 09:54:38PM +0000, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> I had however to add the USB device ids of my Perfection 1260 to the list
> of devices accepted by uscanner(4) to make it work. But that was a trivial
> change really.
>
> Somebody claimed on this list month ago that you don't need the uscanner(4)
> driver at all to use a USB scanner with NetBSD. Unfortunately he never
> provided an example configuration.

After I fixed file permissions on /dev/ugen* and /dev/usb* so that
the scan user can rw them, scanimage -L reports:
device `snapscan:libusb:/dev/usb4:/dev/ugen0' is a EPSON EPSON Scanner1 flatbed scanner
and I don't need any uscanner devices.

Perhaps run 'scanimage -L' or 'sane-find-scanner' as root once,
without uscanner in the kernel, to find out if it works?
 Thomas