Subject: Re: iostat warnings in security report
To: Alex Plotnick <shrike@netaxs.com>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 09/08/2005 21:18:43
On 8-Sep-05, at 8:21 PM, Alex Plotnick wrote:

> Circa Thu, 08 Sep 2005 19:20:02 BST, Rui Paulo thus spake:
>

>> | iostat: No tape drives attached.
>> The true fix should be change iostat and vmstat, not the security
>> script, I believe.
>>

> If you like, but I would argue that it's not iostat's problem.
> iostat is
> reporting a valid warning to stderr; there *isn't* a tape drive
> attached.
> The fact that this information is not useful in the security script
> should
> be reflected by the call, i.e., `iostat -x 2>/dev/null'.

Do you think that iostat should warn about any type of drive not
attached? I wouldn't expect it to complain that I don't have a tape
drive, USB drive, SCSI drive, firewire drive, floppy drive, and a
tape drive attached everytime I ran it.

Clearly a problem with iostat, IMO. Why should tape drives be treated
differently from the others?

Cheers,
Jared