Subject: Re: Failed to build 3.99.8 (installation floppy is too big)
To: segv <segv@netctl.net>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 09/03/2005 10:13:12
In message <20050903140950.b3dc143e.segv@netctl.net>, segv writes:
>On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 19:22:43 +0700
>Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU> wrote:
>
>>     Date:        Sat, 3 Sep 2005 00:32:10 +0100
>>     From:        segv <segv@netctl.net>
>>
>>   | The way to avoid it is to set
>>   | COPTS+=-Os
>>   | in your mk.conf file, when you're building netbsd release.
>>
>> I have no mk.conf when I'm building NetBSD, and I don't want one, I want
>> to get exactly the same result everyone else (who isn't making a special
>> tailored version for themselves) gets.
>>
>> If that's what's supposed to be done, then it should be in the standard Make
>files.
>>
>> kre
>
>I think you'll find everyone else is using mk.conf. Besides by default gcc
>produces plain i386 code, if you have a Pentium 3 for example, the following
>mk.conf will set gcc to produce much more efficient code:

I'm not using it for base system builds.  I agree with kre; the
defaults should just work.  Your example is fine -- using mk.conf is an
excellent way to optimize for a specific situation -- but it shouldn't
be mandatory.

The current -- and recurring -- source of pain is the limit of two
floppies.  Let's bump that to three, while switching to cdboot to get
away from the 2.88M limit on CDs.