Subject: Re: Failed to build 3.99.8 (installation floppy is too big)
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: segv <>
List: current-users
Date: 09/03/2005 14:09:50
On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 19:22:43 +0700
Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU> wrote:

>     Date:        Sat, 3 Sep 2005 00:32:10 +0100
>     From:        segv <>
>   | COPTS+=-Os
>   | in your mk.conf file, when you're building netbsd release.
> I have no mk.conf when I'm building NetBSD, and I don't want one, I want
> to get exactly the same result everyone else (who isn't making a special
> tailored version for themselves) gets.
> If that's what's supposed to be done, then it should be in the standard Makefiles.
> kre

I think you'll find everyone else is using mk.conf. Besides by default gcc
produces plain i386 code, if you have a Pentium 3 for example, the following
mk.conf will set gcc to produce much more efficient code:

$ cat mk.i386.conf

# When doing ' release' it's safer to use -Os optimisation
# With -O2 and higher, executables may not fit inside ramdisk image, etc
KERNEL_CPUFLAGS=-march=pentium3 -mmmx -msse -mfpmath=sse

PKGSRC_CPUFLAGS=-march=pentium3 -mmmx -msse -mfpmath=sse

#The first default Sourceforge site seems to be painfully slow. Avoid it.

.ifdef BSD_PKG_MK