Subject: Re: another parallel-make race
To: Luke Mewburn <>
From: Patrick Welche <>
List: current-users
Date: 08/30/2005 15:55:04
On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 12:08:47AM +1000, Luke Mewburn wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 08:32:45PM +0100, Matthias Scheler wrote:
>   | In article <>,
>   | 	Chuck Silvers <> writes:
>   | > got this failure this morning:
>   | [...]
>   | > there doesn't appear to be any dependency to make sure that
>   | > /root/.profile is created before trying to create the hardlink to it.
>   | Me too. It also broke an autobuild.
>   | My current guess is that revision 1.240 of "src/Makefile" caused this
>   | problem. I need however to run another build to prove it.
> That change triggers the problem, rather than being the cause.
> I think the problem is in <>'s handling of configlinksinstall.
> I have a patch I'm testing; once that works I'll commit it.

I wonder: on the -j6 release run before hitting the .profile
problem mentioned, I hit something like pax: no such directory and
now of course I can't remember which one but it was in DESTDIR and
had <arch> in it, and possibly even "include". Looking on the
filesystem, that directory *did* exist. The point there is that I
started from a newfs'd /usr/obj, with no obj.i386 links in /usr/src.
Running -j6 -o -u release got passed that warning and on
to the .profile problem.  Rerunning again got me a successful build :-)