Subject: Re: Keyboard Problems
To: matthew sporleder <msporleder@gmail.com>
From: Karol Krizka <kkrizka@gmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/25/2005 14:10:04
On 8/25/05, matthew sporleder <msporleder@gmail.com> wrote:
> NetBSD is also oriented to newer machines, where it runs faster than
> "modern" bloated operating systems created to help sell faster
> hardware.
> </advocacy>
>=20
I might switch my amd64 laptop to netbsd too depending on how I like
it on the server. So far I like it a lot. Just a question, has anyone
have a broadcom wireless working? I know on linux they don't provide
any drivers so I have to use a ndis wrapper.

> Check your dmesg to see what type of keyboard, etc is getting loaded
> (dmesg|grep -i key), and also make sure you're using a sane $TERM.  In
> the meantime, try using the normal vi keys (hjkl to move, x to delete,
> etc) to avoid problems with special keys.
>=20
# dmesg|grep -i key
wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0
 and TERM is xterm when I ssh in and vt100 on the computer. Same
behaviour on both so I don't think that is the problem. About the vi
keys, they work and it's exactly the same thing people on the IRC
channel suggested :P But I would still like to get home and end
buttons working because I am quite used to them when using shell.

I also checked the stty man page and don't understand most of the
things. What should I be looking for?

> Now that I test it, all of my keys in that area produce ~ on the
> command line as well, but in a program that does read them (vim), they
> work just fine.
>=20
> On 8/25/05, Karol Krizka <kkrizka@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > After finding a old unused server on work, I decided to try to set it
> > up as a personal webserver. No Linux cd would boot (framebuffer/ram
> > errors) and FreeBSD Install CD took like 5 minutes to select the
> > install option. So I remembered reading somewhere that NetBSD is the
> > one oriented for old machines. To no suprise, the install was a
> > breeze. Exept I have a problem now. Some keys on the keyboard won't
> > work right and I tried several shells (sh,ksh,bash). Pressing
> > insert/delete/PageUp/PageDown produces a ~ instead of what it should
> > and I have no idea what is wrong. Any ideas what could fix this? It's
> > a real PITA now to try to edit files with vi as most of the time it
> > makes the lettter captial or nothing at all when I try to delete. Also
> > in vi, backspace works as a left arrow and delete as backspace and
> > somtimes it makes the last key capital.
> >=20
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> >=20