Subject: Re: Keyboard Problems
To: Karol Krizka <>
From: brad harder <>
List: current-users
Date: 08/25/2005 12:13:28

On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 11:53:19AM -0700, Karol Krizka wrote:
> Hello,
> After finding a old unused server on work, I decided to try to set it
> up as a personal webserver. No Linux cd would boot (framebuffer/ram
> errors) and FreeBSD Install CD took like 5 minutes to select the
> install option. So I remembered reading somewhere that NetBSD is the
> one oriented for old machines. To no suprise, the install was a
> breeze. Exept I have a problem now. Some keys on the keyboard won't
> work right and I tried several shells (sh,ksh,bash). Pressing
> insert/delete/PageUp/PageDown produces a ~ instead of what it should
> and I have no idea what is wrong. Any ideas what could fix this? It's
> a real PITA now to try to edit files with vi as most of the time it
> makes the lettter captial or nothing at all when I try to delete. Also
> in vi, backspace works as a left arrow and delete as backspace and
> somtimes it makes the last key capital.
> Any help would be appreciated.

  Take a look at stty(1) for setting up your terminal, if required, and vi(=
1)... particularly ^f and ^b for moving forward and backward screenfuls-at-=
a-time.  vi provides 'regular' keys to do what PgUp/PgDn do with escape cod=
es... it's these escape codes that begin with the tilde "~" that are not tr=
anslating, and are changing the case of letters (~ changes uppercase -> low=
er, and vice versa). Learning the 'regular' keystokes for vi will also prov=
e invaluable for using it over a network link, where terminal definitions a=
ren't guaranteed to behave like your own. This terminal-over-network issue =
isn't particular to vi, either... shells and other editors may suffer the s=
ame effects, so knowing ^h ^e ^a, etc can be handy...

> --=20
> Cheers,
> Karol Krizka
> Fun Game->